**ETA: I’m linking this post up to Nester’s Price My Space Party…so run on over there (by clicking the button above) to see all the other participants!
We’re almost finished with the tour of my little abode. Today’s room is the living room, and although it’s not exactly ‘finished’ in my opinion, it’s well on it’s way. As a reminder, here’s what it looked like before we moved in (this is the previous owner’s furniture):
And after trying the furniture in several different locations, and moving some pieces in from or out to different rooms, here’s what it looks like today. Wait, first let me say that I LOVE the red walls…but with a red couch (that is too new to replace) it’s just too much red. So, we’re planning to paint all but one wall in a mocha-y color – maybe the window wall, or maybe the “gallery wall”. Okay, carry on…
This view (above) is as you’re standing in the doorway to the kitchen. I still need to get a rug to put under the coffee table, but I’m on a tight budget right now, so I’m hoping to find a decent one at a yard sale or thrift shop. A girl can hope, anyway! Speaking of coffee tables…that one was a STEAL!! I got it at Goodwill for $15.00!! Of course, it didn’t look like it does now. I had to sand it down and give it 3 or four coats of paint to get it to look like this. But I’m really happy with how it turned out! The TV stand is actually a desk…we bought it as a temporary desk until we could get something better. After my husband’s dad gave him a larger desk, I decided to repurpose this one as a tv stand. IT works really well, actually, b/c the drawer holds all the Wii games and equipment, and the DVR sits nicely on the ledge below. The rocking chair was my husband’s great-great aunt’s (or maybe great-great-great…I’m not sure), and we got it about 5 years ago or so. I’ve recovered the chair a few times and it’s been in several different rooms, but I really like it in here now, with the toile seat. That white table beside it…I need to paint it black b/c it’s in bad shape, but I’m out of black spray paint! AKKK!! EMERGENCY, EMERGENCY!! I’m Out of black spray paint!! No worries, I’ll be picking some up this weekend!
And here’s the little “entryway” behind the couch…I’d like to get a narrow bench to sit beneath that wall quilt:
The wall quilt was made for me by my grandmother, and the candle sconces I got from goodwill for like $1 each…they were an ugly gold color, so I just spray painted them black. The marble top table we bought at an antique store not long after we were married.
Now, for the pricing of my space…for some of these things I’m approximating b/c I’m going from memory!
- Couch-$500 – we got a great deal when the furn. store was going out of business.
- Pillows – the black ones were $4 each at HL on clearance, all others are pillows I made, so they probably cost me about $10 total.
- Rocking Chair – free
- White Side Table – @$20 from LTD Commodities several years ago.
- Lamps – @$30 for the pair of matching lamps. The small one on the marble top table was free from a friend.
- Vinyl Wall Word – @$12 – got it during a sale from Uppercase Living
- Picture Frames – free – all frames I had already, just painted them black.
- Coffee Table – $15 from Goodwill plus paint we already had.
- Finials – $8 for both from HL again.
- W on coffee table – $2 from HL.
- Black ‘bookshelf’ – it’s actually a CD shelf – $20 from walmart
- Throw – $4 from goodwill
- Marble Top Table – @$30
- Embroidered Quilt – Free, made by my Granny
- Sconces – $2 from goodwill
- Curtain rod – $5
- Other accesories – picked up at thrift stores/given to me – @$20 at most, I’d say.
That’s a grand total of $686 – so a whole room for UNDER $700!!! I think that’s pretty darned good!
And, that pretty much sums up our home, on the inside. Please feel free to ask any questions. Tomorrow I’ll be sharing the outside of our home!